
Last night at about 9:30PM I started to cramp and bleed. We rushed to the hospital and by the time we got there it had turned to a heavy bleed. The Grey Nuns only has 2 gyno rooms so we had a long wait in the waiting room. At about 5:00AM we finally got a room and the nurse came shortly after to assess the situation. She tried to find the baby's heartbeat but was unable to. Her machine was about 100 years old and she blamed it for not finding the heartbeat. We patiently waited for the doctor to come and in the meantime, the bleeding slowed down quite a bit. The doctor came and said that I needed to have blood work and an ultrasound to see where everything stood, but it was a positive sign that the bleeding slowed down. I had blood work at about 6:50 Am and we waited until almost 10:00Am before we asked if they forgot about us. Apparently the lab did not run 2 of the tests that show whether the pregnancy is continuing. They were going to run them asap, but in the meantime, they came to get me for the ultrasound. They do not allow the Fathers to be in the room for all the measurements, so Shayne had to wait in the waiting room to be called. The ultrasound man took 44 pictures and it seemed to take forever. They do not tell you anything until they are finished and I was just dying to know what what going on. He finished taking all the pictures and then said, " Ok I will go and get your husband, what is his name?" I told him and right before he left the room to get Shayne he said," And here is the baby and this is the heart beating." What a huge relief. When Shayne came in and saw that the heart was beating he had a huge smile on his face.
If you look really closely you can see the heart beating. The doctor said that it was beating at a strong 172 beats per minute. Today the baby measured 10 weeks 4 days, which is very close to what we expected. The ultrasound man said that everything looks fine with the baby, but there still is some blood surrounding the pregnancy. I was brought back to my room to wait for the doctor to see me. The doctor advised that there is no emergency right now since the baby looks good and that I should follow up with my doctor and have an ultrasound in 2 weeks. He also stressed that I take it easy for the next 7-10 days. When I asked him what could cause this he said that there are a variety of reasons and it could be something as simple as the placenta breaking one of my blood vessels as it is growing. What a crazy night and this just reminds me that anything can happen at any time and until the first trimester is over, cautiously optimistic is the prefered route to take.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my gosh...I was on pins and needles as I read this! It must have been a long night for you guys...waiting to find out about the baby! Thank goodness the news was good at the end of it all and I hope and pray that there won't be anymore scares like this!
ReplyDeleteOMG! I too was on edge as I was reading this, thank God that you and baby are both alright Sandy. My heart goes out to you and Shayne both. I hope and pray that all goes well from here on in.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a long night of concern. Words can't express how relieved I was when I saw the positive ultrasound results. What an emotional roller coaster we've been on! Too bad we can't just fast forward 7 months or so.
ReplyDeleteOh my God... I read through your blog so fast that I didn't realize that was a video there, I was looking really close at my screen to see the heartbeat... DUH! lol
ReplyDeleteWOW! WOW! and WOW! thank you so much for sharing this Sandy and Shayne!
OH my .. I am happy everything is ok.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone!
ReplyDelete