Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Not Fun Part of Spring

This stain that we use wears off really quickly and every year we have to restain. I hate painting, but the sooner I paint, the sooner I can bring out the patio furniture. So painting was my goal today. Its interesting because I love putting all the summer stuff out, but we hardly use it! The only time we use it is when we have fires.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great Sandy, do you double coat the deck when you do it? This might solve part of your problem, have you checked at Home Depot or where you buy your stain? You shouldn't have to be staining every year that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think part of the problem is we shovel the deck in the winter too.

    We're thinking of maybe changing to a solid color as well since that will last longer than a stain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first year I did 2 coats and last year I did 2 coats. We do buy our stain from Home Depot and it does have a 5 year warranty. So I don't know. Like Shayne said, we will probably just switch to a solid color next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year? That seems like a lot but I don't know anything about stain. Ken used to shovel our little front deck too but last year he redid it and just swept it through the winter and it's as good as new this spring. Maybe that makes a huge difference? Our back deck is always okay because he made it out of pressure treated wood and it's optional to stain or paint it - we didn't.

    Your deck really does look beautiful though, I LOVE that colour and it looks gorgeous with the white railings!

    ReplyDelete